Volunteering at Christmas House is fun and rewarding. In order to serve our estimated 9,000 children, we’ll need help from 50 volunteers during each of our December shopping shifts. Many additional helpers are needed on move-in Sat, set-up days, pack-up days, and move-out Sat. Come join us!
See below for answers to the following questions:
- Where do I volunteer?
- Who can volunteer?
- What do volunteers do?
- How am I trained?
- When are move-in and move-out days?
- When is Christmas House open to shoppers?
- How do I sign up?
- Should I bring a lunch?
- Is there a Christmas House Volunteer Calendar?
- Is there a newsletter for volunteers?
Christmas House is located at the Everett Boys and Girls Club, 2316 – 12th Street, Everett, WA 98201.
Move-in, set-up, pack-up or move-out times are shown in green on the calendar below and shifts while Christmas House is open to shoppers are shown in red.
- Volunteers must be age 16 and older to help during all times, with two exceptions: volunteers must be age 12 and older to help on move-in Saturday and move-out Saturday.
- For every group of 5 volunteers age 18 and younger, there must be one adult volunteer.
- Volunteers must complete an entire shift.
- Groups are limited to 25 members per shift.
On Fri. evening, Nov. 28, we need 16 strong helpers to lay & tape tarps over the entire floor area, put up the “wall” framework and move in the tables, desks, racks, etc. Volunteers must be age 16 or older.
On move-in Sat, 100 volunteers will help move all the boxes of merchandise from multiple storage areas to the gymnasium. This is the only day volunteers as young as age 12 can volunteer.
On unpack and set-up Sun, 40 volunteers will help set up the tables, decorate the store, unpack boxes and organize the gifts. Volunteers must be age 16 or older.
Mon, Tues, and Wed. will be days to finalize unpacking and set-up. Volunteers must be age 16 or older.
On pack-up and move-out days, volunteers help box up items and move things back to our storage location. Volunteers must be age 16 or older for pack-up days and age 12 and older for move-out Saturday.
When the store is open, most volunteers act as hosts, escorting guests through the Christmas House store and assisting them with selecting gifts for their children. Others help by stocking tables, entering data into the computer, or assisting guests with merchandise as they leave. Volunteers who know Spanish or Russian can help with language translations. Volunteers must be age 16 or older.
Volunteer training sessions are held at the beginning of each shift. It’s very important you arrive on time for your shift and attend the training, even if you’ve volunteered at the store other years. All volunteers must have been through an official training session this year before starting a shift.
To help on any of the following shifts, please read the rest of the information on this page and then see “How do I sign up?” below.
- Fri, Nov. 28 (1pm-6pm): Tarp floor/wall framing/move in tables, racks, etc. – need 16 strong volunteers age 16 or older.
- Sat, Nov. 29 (9am - 2pm): Move the merchandise into the gym – need 100 volunteers age 12 or older.
- Sun, Nov. 30 (9am-2pm): Unpack and set-up – need 40 volunteers age 12 or older.
- Mon, Tues, Wed, Dec. 1, 2, 3 (9am – 3pm): Finish unpacking and organizing the store – need 20 volunteers each day, age 16 or older.
- Sun. & Mon, Dec. 21 & 22 (11am- 3pm): Pack up remaining gifts, dismantle tables, fixtures, etc. – need 30 volunteers age 16 or older.
- Sat, Dec. 27 (9am – 2pm): Move all items out of the gym, back to storage, and clean the gym – need 60 volunteers age 12 or older.
We have 14 December shifts for volunteers to help when the store is open to shoppers; the first one on Thurs, Dec. 4, and the last ones are on Saturday, Dec. 20. We ask that everyone work an entire shift and not arrive late or leave early. Volunteers must be age 16 or older. To help on any of the following shifts, please read the rest of the information on this page and then see “How do I sign up?” below.
- Tues. through Thurs: 8:00am - 2:30pm
- Sat, Dec 6 & Sat, Dec 13: 8:00am - 3:30pm
- Sat, Dec 20: 8am-2:30pm and 2pm-8pm
To volunteer for one or more of the shifts, please read all the information on this page and then click REGISTER on the left sidebar (available October 1). Each shift listed will indicate how many volunteers are still needed. You will need to provide your name, phone and email for each time you wish to volunteer. If you are signing up with friends, an entry will need to be made for each person. Groups are limited to 25 volunteers per shift. Volunteers must be age 16 or older (12+ for move-in and move-out Saturday) and for every five students age 18 and under, there must be one adult volunteer (coach/teacher/parent/etc.).
If you cannot make it to a shift you’ve signed up for, PLEASE CALL or EMAIL us so we can arrange a substitute for you (425-338-2273; firstname.lastname@example.org). The store does not run smoothly if we are short-handed.
A light meal and beverages will be provided to volunteers on move-in Sat. and on the days our store is open to shoppers. Please bring a lunch with you on other days.
If you have questions or wish to provide us with your contact information, email email@example.com or call our message line, 425-338-2273.
A gift of your time is valuable in making Christmas House happen each year. We invite you to join us!